Friday, December 17, 2010

Let it Snow!

I can count on one hand the number of winters I have seen snow in my lifetime. That, my friends, is going to change. Life in the North Country has proven itself worthy of thoughtful preparation and persistent Google-ing. I talk with everyone I meet about the best ways to drive in snow, park in snow, walk in snow - live in snow. I chose two specific priorities: 1.) train the puppy that it is OK to poop without grass and 2.) learn to shovel the entire driveway without a break in less than 30 minutes. I am proud to say that I have mastered these two tasks - not bad, if I may say so. Now, that doesn't make me a pro but it does make me feel more confident whilst surrounded by this foreign white, powdery stuff that seems to accumulate without ceasing. Around here, they told me that I wouldn't see green again until April... little did they know that the puppy loves to dig and he finds grass for me on a daily basis! So there, Old Man Winter!

But, if I may for a moment whisper you a secret: snow is beautiful. As I shoveled the walk and driveway last night, I couldn't help but stand in awe of the wondrous landscape created before my eyes with each falling flake.  I was tempted to throw myself onto the fresh powder and make snow angels (but thought better of it because the temperature was single digits). I brought the pup outside and he thrust his entire head into the snow and turned to me with, what must be, the greatest impression of Old Man Winter - his fluffy white beard made of fresh snow. I couldn't help but smile.



Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

1 comment: