Sunday, November 21, 2010

Army Wife Network

This past Friday I participated in a Spouse Field Exercise hosted by the Army Wife Network. No, we didn't do push-ups, ruck march, or complete an obstacle course (but that would have been pretty cool, too!). Instead we (that would be me and the 149 lovely ladies I spent the day with) descended upon the Commons at Fort Drum and enjoyed a day full of sage advice, funny stories, and great ideas for surviving a deployment. Oh, and did I mention that there was cake? It was a good day.

During the event there was much mention of finding a "battle buddy". I thought this idea was pretty unique - how many other people (outside the Armed Forces) do you know that use words like "battle buddy", "opsec", "debriefing", and "sitrep" in normal, everyday conversation? This group of ladies have been there and done that. It was wonderful to witness the camaraderie when these women from all different backgrounds, cultures, and generations came together, often with only one thing in common - love for an American soldier. That is all you need to be a part of this club, this community. 

I do want to make sure that I give kudos to the ladies in charge of the Army Wife Network: Star Henderson & Tara Crooks. These two are busy finding every possible resource for Army spouses and I can't thank them enough for their hard work! If you ever need information, ideas, or resources visit www.ArmyWifeNetwork.com. I already bookmarked the site and visit it often. I just hope that this can help others, too. 

Watch out world! This Army wife is digging in for the long haul! 

No comments:

Post a Comment