Monday, February 14, 2011

Love and Deployment

Today feels just like any other day during deployment because every day I miss my soldier. All this talk of flowers, candy, and chocolate is ridiculous... all I really want is a hug and kiss from my husband. To feel his warmth would be a delight. The thought of his homecoming is what sustains me. But I know that I am not alone; all over this country there are incredible men and women apart from their beloved because the mission comes first. Barely legible letters, midnight phone calls, bruised care packages - these are the ways we say "I love you". And, I truly believe that these magnificent moments make separation bearable. 


Each day I pray that my husband and all our soldiers return home safely; asking St. Michael to bless them and keep them from harm. I remind myself that love is patient and endures all things; love never fails. I believe love conquers deployment with ease.  


To my friends who are far from their loved ones, hold strong and remain steadfast. Your tears are welcome and embraced, so long as you wipe them from your cheeks and remind yourself of the many blessings in your life.


To my friends who have been reunited with their soldier but wait patiently for full recovery, the circumstances may not be ideal but be thankful you are with him and he will be well soon enough. Your fears are understood, your anxiety understated, your strength inspiring. 


To my friends who are able to touch, smell, and taste their lover - do it! Your happiness is beautiful and should be celebrated. 


Happy Valentine's Day, friends.


"Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, is not pompous, it is not inflates, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

No comments:

Post a Comment