Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Great Blizzard (so far)

For real, friends. I have never seen this much snow in my life - and it just keeps coming. But it sure is pretty.

Today is a perfect day to relax with a good book, clean the bathtub, and take care other household business in preparation for my husband's redeployment home. I better start with the least desirable... bathtub scum. But, alas, it needs to be done and what better time to do it then when I am snowed in, right?

This morning was interesting, indeed. I woke up at 0500 to get ready for work, and by 0530 the post was on a 2 hour delay so I went back to bed. When I awoke the second time at 0730 to feed the dog and again begin to get ready for work I received a call that the post was closed. So, like any self-respecting Army wife I ate breakfast, made a few calls, and took care to ensure the windows and doors were free of snow dunes in the event of an emergency. Still shocked, mind you, that Fort Drum is closed! If it is bad enough that the post is closed then it is definitely a sweatpants and slippers kind of day. So, that is exactly what I intend to do on this wonderfully snowy day.

I would caution those who are experiencing winter storms all over the country... if it isn't an emergency do not leave your home! It isn't worth it, whatever it is. I promise. Simply accept and enjoy the warm, snug, and calm day at home. If your family is home with you, then break out the boardgames and favorite movies. Take the time to get a little bit done around the house. Most importantly, spend quality time with your family and make every moment count. It isn't all that often that the North Country shuts down - so enjoy it!

This first installment of "The Great Blizzard (so far)" will continue as the snow falls.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your day of chores and Netflix! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Erin! Enjoy some movies and stay warm! Snuggle with Ty!

    ReplyDelete